Many people might think the world of precast concrete is straightforward with designs and molds that are used repeatedly in different structures. While that is true, there is also no shortage of creativity when it comes to the design and use of precast concrete. The 2022 PCI Design Award Winners are perfect examples of this creativity.
In fact, some precast concrete design-winning projects are unlike anything else in the world. They can leave passersby breathless as they take in the structural design.
Earlier this year, the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) announced some of the winning precast concrete projects at the 2022 PCI Design Awards. The candidates were divided into building and transportation categories and were judged on:
- Aesthetic, structural, and use versatility
- Site, energy, and operational efficiency
- Risk reduction
- Resilience, such as structure durability, multi-hazard protection, and life safety and health
The 2022 PCI Design Award Winners
From the West coast to the East coast, and everywhere in between, there were winners from all around the United States. They were announced in March at the PCI Convention in Missouri.
The winners included:
- Little Island at Pier 55 (New York, NY) Best Mixed-Use Building PCI Design Award
- Carapace Pavilion (Twentynine Palms, CA) Best Custom Solutions Building Award
- MAA Robinson (Orlando, FL)
- Pikes Peak Summit Visitor Center (Cascade, CO)
- 11 Hoyt (Brooklyn, NY)
- Ransom Everglades STEM Center (Miami, FL)
- Mead Witter School of Music – Hamel Music Center (Madison, WI)
- Middlebury Bridge and Rail Project (Middlebury, Vermont)
- Eisenhower Bridge of Valor (Red Wing, Minnesota)
- State Route 167/70th Avenue East Bridge Replacement (Fife, Washington)
- Rehabilitated Bridge—Arlington Memorial Bridge Rehabilitation (Washington, D.C.)
- Non-Highway Bridge (co-winners)
- Phoenix Sky Train Stage 2 (Phoenix, Arizona)
- University of California San Diego Mesa Housing Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge (San Diego, California)
There is no doubt that magic can happen when architects, design excellence, construction professionals, and engineers come together. Even this year’s honorable mentions were often spectacular. We’re sure that many of these designs will be the talk of the next gathering, as previous winners certainly were at the 2022 PCI convention in March in Kansas City.
When you have precast concrete as an option for the designs these professionals are coming up with — along with precast concrete producers such as Rogue Valley Precast working with you — the sky’s the limit!